spacious slate floored entrance with an old church pew, leading to utility room, staircase and hall. Boots and waterproofs storage area.
2 steps down from the hallin, it leads to the two bedrooms and shower-room. Beech strip floor. A storage heater is located here.
furnished with a king-size divan, wardrobe, dressing table and bedside tables, etc. Solid oak floor. Electric storage heater. iLov docking station
3ft single divan bed. A further guest bed (2ft 6in x 5ft 9in) is stored under the single bed when not in use. Both single beds are fitted with 6in. thick mattresses. Space is tight when both beds are used side by side. Wardrobe fitted with some compartments. Solid oak floor. Electric storage heater. Suitable to accommodate two small children over 5 years old or one adult and a small child over 5 years old, but not two adults.
adjacent to the two bedrooms, shower cubicle with electric shower, washbasin, toilet, shaver socket, electric heater and towel rail.
sink, drainer in work surface, automatic washer/drier, freezer, electric heater, cupboard containing outdoor items. Door to garden and patio.
18ft x 11ft, solid ash floor, attractively furnished with two settees, wood-burning stove, 2 electric storage heaters, dining table and 4 chairs, bookcase, LCD TV / DVD, Sky Freesat, Wifi, and BT Sport. The doorway is very low (5’5″). Stunning views of Lakeland hills.
recently fitted with modern oak units, well equipped for self catering. Electric cooker, refrigerator, toaster and microwave. Small eating area for 2 people with long views towards Patterdale and Glencoyne.
bath with overhead shower operated from the hot water storage system, washbasin and toilet, shaver socket, electric heater and towel rail.
airing cupboard and storage area, containing vacuum cleaner.
Garden and Patio
south facing, paved with Kirkstone slate. Garden furniture, BBQ.
grassed area, with snowdrops and daffodils in Spring, sloping down to unfenced mountain stream.
- Space: about 80 square metres.
- Heating: 5 electric storage heaters and a wood-burning stove. A wood starter pack is provided. Electricity is included.
- Bed linen: provided, but normally not towels, and the beds will be made prior to your arrival. Towels can be provided at additional cost if requested at the time the final payment is made.
- Parking: provided off-road/on site in gated area for 1 car.
- Beams are exposed, and rooms on 1st floor have high ceilings with pitched oak rafters and roof lights.
- Most windows are double glazed.
- High standard of fittings, furnishings and decoration is provided for the enjoyment of our guests.
- Free Wifi provided.
- BT Sport provided.
- Smoking is not allowed in the cottage or grounds. Also, we do not allow pets in the cottage or grounds.
- The living room and kitchen are on the first floor and the doorway to the living room is low (5’5″).
- Two slate steps lead from the hallin to the hall.
- The level of the unfenced stream rises rapidly after very heavy rain. The cottage is a sufficient distance from, and height above, the stream for visitors to enjoy the spectacle. Families with small children should be aware of this feature, though they can be reassured that access to the stream from the cottage is only through the rear lockable door.
Arrangements following COVID-19 Restrictions
Welcome to Mill Cottage. We hope you enjoy your stay and are able to relax knowing that we have taken special care with our cleaning and arrangements for your safety. If you have stayed here before, you will notice that some items e.g. books, board games, etc. have been removed from the cottage on the recommendation of professional associations, and we hope this does not cause disappointment. Also, several non-essential items have been withdrawn from the cottage, and include kitchen items and ornaments, books, magazines, etc. Also, we have put covers on wooden surfaces to ease cleaning. We hope you understand that the measures are necessary to allow appropriate cleaning throughout the cottage, especially because of the limited change-over period available to us.
Your help with the following COVID-19 precautionary measures will be appreciated:
1. Use the hand sanitiser provided at the front door, before entering the cottage.
2. Please dispose of your tissues and wipes etc. in the household waste bin located in the Utility Room. We have a septic tank sewage system, so please do not dispose of items other than toilet tissue down the WC. Further, use the minimum of chlorinated bleaches in sinks, toilets, and the washing machine, as bleaches kill the bacteria in the septic tank which relies on them for its proper function.
3. When a couple is staying in the cottage, the single bed will not be made up, but the duvet and pillows will be placed under the cover, and the linen placed in a polythene bag near the head of the bed for your use if necessary.
4. On Thursday evening, please put your council blue kitchen/general waste bag out for the bin collection which occurs early on Friday morning. Place the bag at the side of the lane on top of the wall.
At the end of your stay:
- Please vacate the cottage no later than 9.00am on your last day to give us extra time for the additional cleaning and checks needed during the change-over period.
- Please place the kitchen/general waste in the council’s blue bag and leave in one of the dustbins near our woodshed.
- Please remove all recycling items from the cottage and take to a suitable recycling point.
- For the safety of the cleaner(s), please strip your bed(s), and place the duvet cover(s), bottom sheet(s), and pillow cases in a black polythene bag, together with tea and hand towels from the kitchen and used bathmats, and place in the Utility Room for washing. Also, please put the duvet(s) and pillows in separate coloured polythene bags for quarantine, but leave in the entrance hall.
- Please leave windows open in the main room, bedrooms and kitchen.
We appreciate your help and understanding through these difficult times. Thank you! We hope you enjoy your stay.
Mel and Hilary
If a guest show any signs of having the virus, the person must stay indoors, self-isolate, and arrange a test using the cottage address:
Mill Cottage, Hartsop, Nr.Penrith, Cumbria, CA11 0NZ
Please consult the NHS sheet provided and get tested by contacting https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/testing-and-tracing/get-an-antigen-test-to-check-if-you-have-coronavirus.
If the test is positive, all guests will need to leave the cottage if any member of the party can drive you. If that is not possible and you have to self-isolate at Mill Cottage, then you will be have to pay for all bookings that have to be cancelled as a result. Note that we will need you to provide your names, telephone numbers and email addresses of everyone staying at the cottage, so that we can pass these onto the NHS if required. This information will not be used for any other purpose.